THE BUSINESS OF CALLIGRAPHY
WITH KESTREL MONTES
The Business of Calligraphy
watch recordings Aug 29 - Jan 7
JOIN LIVE AND/OR JUST WATCH THE RECORDINGS
All students receive access to the live class link as well as the lesson recordings.
You are free to participate however it works best for you!
REGISTRATION OPENS AUG 6
Kestrel helped me narrow my focus so I could save time on what is most effective. She shared great tips and resources.
Kestrel takes women’s entrepreneurship to a level of unstoppable excellence in everything she does!
Kestrel is giving of her time and talents to help other fellow calligraphers succeed in this industry.
These are just a few of the things that will be covered in the class...
TRANSITIONING FROM HOBBY TO BUSINESS
- Making the mental shift: Doing it for money not love
- Knowing when you are ready: Addressing the Doubt Monster
- Friends & Family: The expected discount dilemma
- Building a portfolio: How to show off when you don’t have much to show
- Branding/Naming: Picking and securing your business name
- Photography: Taking photos that sell
- Mockups: Work smarter, not harder
- Vectorizing: Why you need to know how
- Getting Found: Website necessities, SEO, marketing, building an audience (without spending a fortune!)
- Painless Networking: Getting work by giving it away
- Assessing Clients: Reading between the lines for the red flags.
- Selling Yourself: Learning to toot your own horn
- Website Necessities: What you should really have
- Social Media: Attracting an audience while balancing the life-suck
- Building an Email List: How to grow a list and why you should
- Exposure Options: Putting yourself online without spending a fortune
- Professional Associations: Networking without torture
- Connecting with the Competition: Building a community
- Reviews: Where to get them and why (some) bad ones can be good
- Collaborations: Pros/cons of styled shoots & pro bono work
- Contracts: What should they say and when to use them
- Pricing Fairly: How to be fair to yourself and your fellow colleagues
- Sales & Giveaways: The ugly truth
- Pricing Transparency: Why we should all post real prices
- Cancellations: When do you NOT offer a refund
- Hidden Costs: Health insurance, retirement, income taxes
- Getting Paid: Payment processing options
DIVERSIFYING YOUR REVENUE STREAMS
- How Many Eggs In the Basket: Narrowing your focus but NOT narrowing it
- Money While You Sleep: Passive income development
- Making Things: Product development & production options
- Shipping: You sold a thing, now what
- Wholesale: Becoming the supplier
- Building an Empire: Selling on multiple platforms
- Make Life Easy: Preparing document templates
- Be Legit: Permits, liability insurance & licenses
- The Big Question: Sole Proprietor vs LLC
- The Unavoidable: Income taxes, sales tax, VAT, 1099s
- Counting Pennies: Tracking business expenses
- Artists Respecting Artists: Copyrights and the DMCA
- Sample contracts: events, commissioned pieces, digital work, royalties
- Sample invoice
- Sample cold call email
- Sample wholesale catalog
- Sample commission request reply email
DON'T MISS A THING!
Join our list to be reminded when registration opens or to stay informed if future dates are added.
Unsubscribe at any time.
How this will work:
- This is a blended live and recorded online group workshop. In order to cover more content, lessons will be recorded each week for your indipendent viewing.
- Following each lesson, we will have a live group Q&A session to address any questions you may have.
- Live lessons will be recorded and available for replay a few days before the live Q&A session.
- All handouts, links and recordings are found in the course portal.
Through her mentorship, I have been able to increase the product sales and expand my business offerings.
Kestrel’s business advice is incredibly detailed and helpful. I am constantly referring back to my notes.
I can honestly say that without Kestrel as my guide, I would not be where I am today as a successful business owner.
Can I rewatch the lessons?
Can a beginner take this course?
What supplies do I need?
Is this an interactive class?
Here is a little about the variety of her success since launching in 2014:
- Over 70,000 sales on Etsy (3 shops)
- Over 7,000 font sales on Creative Market
- Over 20,000 product sales on Amazon
- Over 45,000 product sales on INKMETHIS.com (independent website)
- Over 8,000 online students taught
- Over 50,000 email subscribers
Having built a 7 figure annual revenue around calligraphy, she know what she's talking about! And her background in education makes her a natural cheerleader for others' successes!@inkmethis